At Toft Hill Primary School, we regard the safeguarding of children as our main priority and is the responsibility of everyone who comes into contact with children.. We believe that we all have the right to be happy, to be safe and to learn. We all have the responsibility to make this happen.
Designated Leads for Safeguarding
- Mrs Janice Stobbs (Head teacher)
- Mrs Leanne Nesbitt (Deputy Head teacher and SENCO)
- Miss Susanne Scott (Therapeutic intervention teaching assistant)
- Governor with responsibility for safeguarding: Mrs Kelly Reynolds
We will ensure that:
- The welfare of each child is paramount
- All children have the right to be protected from harm
- All suspicions and/or allegations of abuse will be taken seriously and responded to in a timely and appropriate way
- All staff and volunteers have a responsibility to report their concerns to the designated lead for safeguarding.
Further information is detailed in our Safeguarding and Child Protection Policy located in our School Policies section.
Whole school training on safeguarding is undertaken every three years. Staff who join the school in between training sessions complete an e-learning module through the NSPCC ensuring they are fully informed. Safeguarding leads attend refresher training every two years.
All staff, and governors, are directed to the latest version of the document ‘Keeping Children Safe in Education’.
Toft Hill Primary adopt safer recruitment procedures that help deter, reject or identify people who are unsuitable to work with children. All staff appointed to school will be subject to appropriate identify and qualification checks. References will be verified and appropriate checks (Disclosure and Barring Service – DBS) will be undertaken. Governors and volunteers will also be subject to DBS checks.
Staff trained in Safer Recruitment procedures:
- Mrs Janice Stobbs (Head teacher)
- Mrs Leanne Nesbitt (Deputy Head teacher)
- Mrs Alison Barron (Chair of Governors)
Please view our Safer Recruitment Policy located in our School Policies section.
Our safeguarding policies cover all areas of school life and include:
- Staff & Visitors- ensuring they are vetted, informed & trained.
- Children’s Behaviour- promoting safer & happier behaviours & lifestyles.
- Parents & Carers- promoting links & supporting families.
- Premises -keeping them safe, pleasant & fit for purpose.
- Curriculum -providing positive, life affirming learning experiences.
We have an obligation to obtain necessary information from parents in advance of a child being admitted to school, including:
- Names of both parents;
- emergency contact numbers;
- the child’s special dietary requirements, preferences or food allergies the child may have;
- the child’s special health requirements;
- information about who has legal contact with the child; and who has parental responsibility for the child.
It is the responsibility of parents and carers to inform school of any changes to these details.
We take confidentiality very seriously. Any information which we hold is treated as confidential and shared on a ‘need-to-know’ basis.
Please view our Data Protection Policy located in our School Policies section.
Links with External Agencies
Our first concern is the well-being of your child and there may be occasions when we have to consult other agencies before we contact you. The procedures we have to follow have been laid down in accordance with the local authority child protection procedures.
We are fortunate to be supported by a range of external agencies which can be called upon to support the work we do in school. These include School Nurse, Health Practitioners, Educational Psychology, Child & Adolescent Mental Health Services, Behaviour Support, Education Welfare and Effective Learning team, Social Services and Specialists in supporting Special Educational Needs.
Reporting Concerns and Complaints
We have in place a school complaints policy. This enables children, staff and carers to report anything they feel is of concern. This policy is located in our School Policies section.
Please view our Complaints Procedure located in our School Policies section.