At Toft Hill Primary School our children develop as self-confident, independent thinkers and have a genuine voice within the school through their democratically elected school council. We have a broad and balanced school curriculum underpinned by spiritual, moral, social and cultural understanding and values. We prepare children in school for life in modern Britain by developing an age related, appropriate awareness of the four fundamental British Values of: Democracy, Rule of Law, Individual Liberty and Mutual Respect and Tolerance of different faiths and beliefs. We firmly believe in our vision that this is “Caring, believing and aspiring together”.
What is SMSC?
SMSC is about developing the whole child through:
- Social and
- Cultural activities
We provide a curriculum and learning environment which enables all children to grow and flourish, become confident individuals and appreciate their own worth and that of others.
The Spiritual development of our pupils is shown by their:
- ability to be reflective about their own beliefs.
- sense of enjoyment and fascination in learning about themselves, others and the world around them.
- use of imagination and creativity in their learning.
- willingness to reflect on their experiences.
The Moral development of our pupils is shown by their:
- ability to recognise the difference between right and wrong.
- understanding of the consequences of their behaviour and actions.
- being able to understand and appreciate the viewpoints of others on these issues.
The Social development of our pupils is shown by their:
- use of a range of social skills in different contexts.
- willingness to participate in a variety of communities and social settings e.g. volunteering.
- acceptance and engagement with the fundamental British values of democracy etc.
The Cultural development of our pupils is shown by their:
- understanding and appreciation of the wide range of cultural influences that have shaped their own heritage and that of others.
- understanding and appreciation of the range of different cultures within school and society.
- knowledge of Britain’s democratic parliamentary system (KS2)
- willingness to participate in and respond positively to artistic, sporting and cultural opportunities
- interest in exploring, improving understanding of and showing respect for different faiths and cultural diversity.